Divinity Original Sin 2: How does Anything Work?

The big Steam Winter Sale came along and I seem to have run out of open world games that either match my system specs or that I am willing to play. I have been eyeing Divinity Original Sin 2 for a while so this time around I bought in. I used to love isometric games because at one time they were the best games but unfortunately a lot of the good RPG's came and went because my time and resources were allotted to other things.

Considering this site's title contains the term RPG, I'm hoping that playing a bonafide RPG will help me finally understand what one is. I could just watch a YouTube video but I'm going to try to finish Divinity Orginal Sin 2 and see what I think.

Normally I try to blunder along as long as possible before I start looking things up but I can't seem to figure anything out by myself in this one. This is a deep, open ended game with a steep learning curve and so far I'm loving it. Some of my troubles are the usual derpy problems I cause for myself. The keyboard assignments are a little different from what I am accustomed to and I was so intent on learning not to touch the WASD keys to navigate that I was hours in before I realized that the camera was completely free. It's like an invisible bird companion. Sooo helpful.

Since I'm roleplaying, I created a semi custom character. My Godwoken is a lady Shadowblade elf. I picked her cohorts and stuck to them early because doing anything else was bound to confuse me more. She's running with Lohse, the Red Prince and Ifan. I feel like I've spent more time studying character progression than actually playing. She has the Jester tag but I enjoy just reading the Jester dialogue lines more than actually picking them and they seem to be appearing less and less. This is definitely the path of least resistance role play strategy.

The menu system is superb and I am totally geeking out. It's well organized and readable. Switching characters and moving items between them is effortless. There is extensive use of context menus. I am a context menu freak. I am convinced that Larian developers all cut their teeth on open source tools. They also seem to collectively have a fairly sadistic sense of humour.

It's taken me hours just to get through Chapter 2 and off the island. And I'm on story mode, definitive edition. Anything else and I'm sure I would have given up on myself by now. Now that I have some sense of how skills and items work, hopefully I won't be flummoxed by every quest and puzzle going forward.

Comments