Divinity Original Sin 2 - I'm Now Clear on What an RPG is I Think

Divinity Original Sin 2 - Phoenix Chick
Ended the game with another peeping thing.

It only took like five months but I finally calmed down enough to finish Divinity Original Sin 2. So now I'm all puffed up because I didn't need to go online for help. It only took dying a few more times to see the path through. I have to confess though that I had forgotten all about the weapon I had been saving for this exact moment and pulled it out just as all was to be lost again. Eureka! 

That bad feeling I had that my heroine maybe shouldn't be doing all this stayed with me to the end. My ultimate decision was good in the short term but had long term negative consequences. I don't feel like contemplating the political philosophy of that and I'm just letting it go. 

I did watch The Cantina's YouTube video on Why Skyrim is Not an RPG right after. I can't say that I disagree with anything he said. My issue with Skyrim is that you can role play within it's systems if you like but Bethesda doesn't offer any guides to doing that. They're certainly not obligated to but they designed the game to be flexible that way. Thanks to the Skyrim Anniversary update I can complain about that in another post because yes I could not resist a playthrough.

On the other hand, it seems like everything in Divinity Original Sin 2 is in service of party roles. You probably don't have to be as meticulous as I was about assigning abilities, skills and equipment to enjoy the game. I was just amazed at the intricacy. The scarcity of civil skills meant that that I was sensitive to each member's entire skill set. I didn't select things based on the higher numbers are better theory. I could throw off any carefully calibrated load out with one careless equip. 

Even though I used a custom character, I thought she was well defined. She was the negotiator and diplomat. There was nothing worse than being caught in a dialogue with the wrong character. This usually meant a fight that could have been avoided. Members had their individual ambitions but the group tried to save all the people whether they deserved it or not.

My decision making was likely often in conflict with this notion. There's a whole cycle of confidence building and destruction that I found kind of rare. My assessment of a game is usually based on how invested I got and this is a five star. 


Comments