Far Cry Primal: Goodbye Oros...for now

Warning: Spoilers
  
Before I tackled the final missions, I decided to tame the SnowBlood Wolf. It’s nice to have an effective wolf at my side again. At least his growls mean something beyond “I think I might be voraciously hungry”. Unfortunately he’s not quite as strong or as fast as the demented BloodFang so the sabre tooth got recruited for the fight with top Udam, Ull. This mission was more involved than I expected but I still felt well prepared to face down Ull. Tough doesn’t describe this guy. I could barely put a dent in him and his minions kept appearing. My second effort succeeded by playing frantic healer to my beast and BloodFang eventually subdued the big man. My reward for this was a plot twist and more villagers. I was so exhausted that I quit for the day.

The following day I decided to go after Great Scar Bear before rushing off to the Izila homeland. I had a difficult time finding my way to his region and managed to die a couple of times in the process. The journey was still fun in it’s own right thanks to numerous distractions.

I returned to the village with Scar Bear in tow and noticed a new quest marker. I’m not sure when he showed up but Urki has taken up residence. True to form, he believes that he discovered the village and graciously invited me to join him. He had no new nonsense projects for me though. Just when I thought I had seen the last of him.

Taking down Batari the evil sun priestess was quite satisfying but the only rewards were some cut scenes, end game credits and an invitation to continue playing. I’m tempted.

I think it’s clear by now that I really enjoyed this game. This is my first Far Cry game so I don’t know if some of the things I describe are typical of the series but there are some features that alleviate the resource and upgrade grind and the repetitiousness. XP points ramp up instead of slowing down. All 3D open world games should do this and limit skill upgrades some other way. Of course, you are not role playing here and Takkar needs every skill he can get but I developed a distinct play style and didn’t use a lot of the available skills and weapons. My play style was pretty wimpy. I relied a lot on my animal friends and mostly used stealth to avoid danger. I never mastered throwing any kind of weapon besides the spear. And traps? What are those? I played on normal difficulty and shudder at the thought of a survival or a perma death play through. There’s a lot of freedom to use any style you want.

Even free roam play is fun thanks to never ending random events and encounters. The beast you travel with can influence how these encounters play out. The area around the village became a safe zone because it’s the most predictable but the farther out you go the crazier things can get. I was laughing because it took me 86 hours to reach just over 50 percent completion but that’s how distracted I got by the environment. This is the ideal game for someone who loves 3D worlds but doesn’t have a lot of time to play. You can invest an hour or two and leave it for a while without fear of losing track of the plot or progression.

I’ve been using the Far Cry wiki as a reference and they uncovered a much deeper story line than I ever did. I don’t know if it’s because I missed half the content or wasn’t paying enough attention to major conversations and missions. All I got was that humanoids were encroaching on each other and some were more advanced than others. The Neanderthal faction was kind of ridiculous considering the era and despite their despicable practices they somehow became sympathetic near the end unlike those ambitious Izila. Whatever skepticism I held towards some of the game’s elements, they were all in service of an entertaining experience so it’s hard to criticize.

I did wish the characters were a little deeper. Everyone has a back story that doesn’t get explored much unless I missed it. NPCs talk at Takkar. Takkar reacts in a “me Tarzan you Jane” sort of way. He’s a beast master. Surely he has some kind of deep spiritual connection with the natural world. Outside of some vague vision quests, he doesn’t seem to. I bought the game partly because of the constructed language. It did lend some authenticity but the vocabulary is quite limited and unfortunately the characters came off as limited as well.

I enjoyed it enough that I am tempted to keep playing but I want to move on to other things. I’m still working on my Farkle clone. I finally have an acceptable scoring method. I have spent major time modifying and testing it. The next hurdle is the computer player’s logic. I do have a rudimentary UI in place but it’s going to take a while to get it all connected so Primal and any other games are going on the shelf for a bit. I’m sure I have the discipline. Right?

Home                                                                                                                                                         All Far Cry Primal Posts

Comments