Fallout 4 Raider Replay - The Outcome

Fallout 4 - Institute Flag Flying in Diamond City


The path I took as a villain does have an impact on the game world. Dutch didn't enslave the entire Commonwealth. I ran out of patience for that. Once the raider outposts were self sufficient I didn't need to bother with them much. They send a steady stream of caps to Nuka World and defend themselves for the most part. I'm missing out on some legendary gear but it's not like there's a scarcity. Occasionally Dutch gets support from friendly raiders out in the Commonwealth which is a welcome change. There is a handful of free, under developed settlements that call for help but it's not too disruptive.

Dutch has yet to meet Preston Garvey and the Minute Men don't exist. He never stepped foot on the Prydwen so didn't join the Brotherhood either. The Railroad didn't care at all about his raider connections. They were happy he is as tough as his reputation.

Siding with the Institute prevents yet another giant radioactive crater being created on the map which is nice. The Institute doesn't offer a lot of amenities however. A supply of clean food and water and teleportation make it a good choice for survival play throughs. I liked the idea of the grenades that teleport in synth support until I realized that the poor synths are expensive cannon fodder mostly useful for distraction. They don't last long. 

As expected a number of faction quests failed but intriguingly Preston Garvey's quest is still in the log. I don't know how far the quest line goes now and I know for sure Preston won't co operate with Dutch unless Dutch turns his back on his raider buddies. I'm not inclined to do that right now. Deacon and Danse are no longer available as companions but I wasn't sure if Danse was still alive or not because Dutch left him in Cambridge. He went there to see but Danse must have joined the fatal fight for the Prydwen. I don't remember seeing him there but he doesn't seem to be around Cambridge any more.

The rest of the companions are still available. Nick and Piper were very upset with Dutch over the Institute but are still willing to travel with him. He also finally did a snarky interview with Piper for her paper. Neither companion mentioned any concerns about Dutch as a raider and slaver. He had a pretty bad conversation with Hancock. Poor Hancock was speculating if his childhood Diamond City friend was a synth or not. Dutch knows damn well that he is but never let on. The folks around Diamond City are struggling to accept that synths now walk around in their midst. 

I have a couple of Institute quests but they send Dutch to Far Harbor. I'm not that fond of Far Harbor and I'm not ready to go there yet if it all. I've spent many hours just getting this far. I called Fallout 4 a strange game in the first post I made about it. I do really like the game but I wish the settlement building was an optional side activity. It gets in the way of role playing. You don't need to spend a lot of perks on settlements but I resented the time I spent building and attending to them while developing my character. I remember Skyrim fans wishing for more customizable player homes and it seems like Bethesda responded with a cross between The Sims and Minecraft in Fallout 4. I'm  not saying I don't like it. I just wish it was implemented differently.

 

Comments