Catching Up

As noted before, there are many popular games I haven’t played for various reasons. We never had any Nintendo devices so no exclusives for that platform. It’s been Atari, Sony and PC. Due to constraints, I have missed quite a few titles published for the latter two. The most notable series are Assassin’s Creed, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect and The Last of Us. Of the first three series I have only played recent releases. I didn’t get very far into The Last of Us. The whole zombie thing put me off. I’m just sick of zombies in general. I quit watching The Walking Dead after season 3 or 4. I can’t even remember which. I can tolerate the feral ghouls in Fallout because they are just one of the unfortunate sideshows in the Fallout world. I feel slightly bad exterminating them because there’s so many sane, friendly NPC ghouls.

I did enjoy A Thief’s End and Tomb Raider. Lost Legacy was a little dull until the second half. I always felt an urgency to follow the narrative. The environments are pretty but not that interesting to explore. I failed to care about getting collectibles or completing optional goals and as much as I enjoyed the action, the arcade like exploration and the stories, once I finished the main missions I was done. I had no desire to continue or replay.

I am in the midst of playing three different Assassin’s Creed titles right now. Black Flag on the PC, Unity and Origins on the PS4. I am not ready to opine on any of them. They are whole different balls of wax in a whole different box of balls...of...wax...That sounds even worse in my head.

I’ll leave Mass Effect for my next posting. For now I am caught up on my explaining and complaining.

Comments