The Swiss Army Knife that is Fallout 4

Fallout 4 is a really strange game. If it was business software it would be an office suite. We have the PS4 version with all the add on content installed but Animatron and no mods. Although I have finished most of the quests I am still on one character. I always play as a charismatic hacker anyway. When the tragic overwhelms the comical, I return to one of my sim settlements and fiddle with something like building a beach condo for my homeless companions. Settlement building can be comical, frustrating or overwhelming but it is engaging.

Nuka World really defined how I felt about the game. I know opinion is divided on Nuka World but I loved it. I thought there was a New Vegas feel to it. Raiders should have been a player faction all along. That would not have fit into the plot very well but the story wasn't really Fallout 4`s strong point. I do give Bethesda credit for incorporating local Boston historical narratives. Institute members weren't convincing villains and I didn't find much incentive to ally with them. I actually spoiled the story for myself by working towards an optimum ending friendly with the three other factions. Not that I care for the Brotherhood of Steel but I didn't want to fight them or the Railroad post main quest. I didn't want to kill settlers either so I equipped Danse with a missile launcher and we took out all the Nuka World factions. I toyed with the idea of starting over, ignoring the Minute Men and heading to Nuka World as soon as possible but it seemed like too much effort for a doubtful payoff. Maybe someday.

I give this version of Fallout a mixed rating. The environment is less gloomy, companions are fun and the settlement building extends play. Exploration is interesting particularly in the vaults. The story is ok. The big reveal wasn't that big by the time I got there. Moral choices seemed self serving. Given the option I probably would have kept the Institute too just to keep the world interesting. I was disappointed in romance and interaction between companions. Far Harbor has the best enemies but I don't like it there. Fallout 4 is a familiar Bethesda game with lots of activities but New Vegas is still more entertaining. I think.

Comments